Occupational Health Nurse Services
Occupational health nurses (OHN’s) are New Zealand's experts in assessing and mitigating detrimental effects of work on health, and managing the effect of altered health on people's work. We work to help clients by working within three essential pillars: Protection, Promotion and Prevention.
Services Provided by OHNs
All Occupational Health Nurses are Registered or Enrolled nurses, and many have post-graduate qualifications up to masters level in occupational health and/or safety.
Most belong to the New Zealand Occupational Health Nurses Association and must adhere to the practice standards bound by the New Zealand Nursing Council to maintain their annual practicing certificate. NZOHNA also promotes and assists OHNs in maintaining a competent level of practice by assessment with our skills and knowledge framework.
Occupational health nurses provide professional on site occupational health services which includes occupational health monitoring.
An example of some of the services we provide include (but is not limited to):
- Hearing (audiometry) testing
- Lung function (spirometry) testing
- Vision screening
- Musculoskeletal assessments
- Heart Health (cardio-vascular) risk assessment
- Pre employment (fitness for role) health assessment
- Annual health monitoring
- Workplace drug testing
- Workplace and on site vaccinations
- Workplace inspections or risk assessments
- Ergonomic assessments and adivce
- Health promotion activities
- Return to work programmes
This is an example of what most OHN’s can do but please reach out to us to find out more. Alternatively many of our members have a listing on the Health and Safety Association of New Zealand (HASANZ) Register - links to both below.